Friday 21 December 2007

A Change Will Do You Good


I've now read Dave's revised version and I'm really pleased with it. He's done everything I asked him to do, and think it flows a lot better and has that all important shape that was lacking a little in places before. The end still gives me a little lump in my throat, even though I've read it several times.

In fact, the only thing wrong with it is something that I asked Dave to do. His original prologue to the book focused on Bromley's pre-season friendly with West Ham, but I asked him to expand it back to him falling in love with football at the 1966 World Cup. Having read the start again (again), I now feel as though Dave was right and I was wrong -- it's as if the book has too many beginnings, and the start has lost its original impact. So I've made a suggested cut myself, moving the World Cup story stuff into chapter one, where Dave talks generally about football and his love of the club. I wonder if Dave will like my change to his change?

Like Capello and Beckham, I'm big enough to admit when I got it wrong...

No comments: